Meetings & Conferences
WIN Sponsored Conferences
During the annual American Society of Nephrology meetings, WIN sponsors a luncheon lecture, by a well-known speaker, in memory of Dr. Nancy Gary, WIN co-founder and first President. These lectures cover topics not routinely addressed at the ASN meetings, such as ethics in nephrology. All ASN attendees are invited to attend. WIN also organizes a scientific symposium at the fall ASN meeting, as well as sponsoring the Professional Development Seminar.
Professional Development Seminar
Since 1999, WIN has sponsored a 1-day Professional Development Seminar at the American Society of Nephrology annual meeting. This course is designed for early and mid career Nephrologists and Scientists interested in career guidance. To date, over 500 physicians, both men and women, have taken this course. In addition, travel support is available to participants.
ASN Luncheon Lecture
The past several years of lecturers and topics are listed below:
- 2005: Dr. Page Morahan: "Advancing Women to Leadership"
- 2006: Dr. Walter Tsou: "Universal Health Care: Lessons from Nephrology."
- 2007: Dr. Sally Satel: "When Altruism Isn't Enough: Using Incentives to Reduce the National Kidney Shortage"
- 2008: Dr. Walter Tsou: "The Future of Chronic Disease Control: Rational or Rationing?"
- 2009: Dr. Vivian Reznik: "Promoting Women in Academic Medicine"
- 2010: Dr. Lee Newman: "Prevention of Environmental Health Catastrophies: Toxic Sludge to Gulf Oil- Toxic Waste to Natural Gas"
ASN Scientific Symposia
The past several years of symposia are listed below:
- 2005: "The Pathophysiology of Progressive Renal Disease and Hypertension: Importance of Gender and Ethnicity"
- 2006: "Understanding and Manipulating Antibody Responses in Allo and Autoimmunity."
- 2007: "It's Not Your Father's Renin-Angiotensin System"
- 2008: "Boots on the Ground: Do We Have Enough Personnel to Fight the Battle Against CKD?"