Meetings & Conferences
ASN Kidney Week 2015 WIN Activities
WIN Booth #1042
Don't miss the WIN Booth at ASN Kidney Week! Get involved or just get info on our programs and opportunities for career advancement and networking. New things are happening at WIN – Come by and find out more!!
WIN Annual Dinner (FREE for WIN members)
We invite you to join us for our annual gathering to find out what's new at WIN! The WIN Annual Dinner will be on Thursday, November 5, 2015 from 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Sally's Seafood on the Water, Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego (1 Market Place, San Diego CA 92101). Stop by the WIN Booth #1042 for more information on joining us!
WIN Annual Gary Memorial Luncheon: Saturday, November 7, 2015
Please join us for the 2015 Annual Gary Memorial Luncheon on Saturday, November 7, 2015 from 12:45 – 1:45 in Convention Center Room 10. We will have an engaging presentation and discussion with Dr. Susan Crowley entitled "The Art of War and Kidney Disease: Ancient Wisdom for a Modern Foe."
Notable for WIN members at ASN Kidney Week 2015
ASN has announced a new ASN early program, "Women's Renal Health Across the Decades" on Nov 3 and 4th in San Diego this year. This program covers many vital issues in Obstetric Nephrology including AKI and microangiopathic syndromes, pregnancy in women with SLE, CKD and ESRSD (dialysis, transplant). These topics address key knowledge gaps in many fellow's training, as evidenced by their surveys. Learn more.
Past WIN Sponsored Conferences
Professional Development Seminar
From 1999 - 2014, WIN sponsored a 1-day Professional Development Seminar at the ASN Kidney Week. Beginning in 2015 this course will be offered at various venues in order to provide this valuable resource to an ever-widening community of women in nephrology. It is designed for early and mid-career nephrologists and scientists interested in receiving career guidance. To date it has served over 500 physicians and research scientists, both men and women. Please check back for more information on these upcoming events on this page in the near future.
ASN Luncheon Lecture
During the annual American Society of Nephrology meetings, WIN sponsors a luncheon lecture, by a well-known speaker, in memory of Dr. Nancy Gary, WIN co-founder and first President. These lectures cover topics not routinely addressed at
See above for information on the 2015 Luncheon Lecture
ASN Luncheon Lecture
The past several years of lecturers and topics are listed below:
- 2005: Dr. Page Morahan: "Advancing Women to Leadership"
- 2006: Dr. Walter Tsou: "Universal Health Care: Lessons from Nephrology."
- 2007: Dr. Sally Satel: "When Altruism Isn't Enough: Using Incentives to Reduce the National Kidney Shortage"
- 2008: Dr. Walter Tsou: "The Future of Chronic Disease Control: Rational or Rationing?"
- 2009: Dr. Vivian Reznik: "Promoting Women in Academic Medicine"
- 2010: Dr. Lee Newman: "Prevention of Environmental Health Catastrophies: Toxic Sludge to Gulf Oil- Toxic Waste to Natural Gas"
- 2011: Janet Bickel: "Difficult Issues in Mentoring: making the undiscussable discussable"
- 2012: Dr. Nancy Swerdlow Downs: "Listening to Burnout: The Healer Education Assessment and Referral (HEAR) Program:"
- 2013: Li-Li Hsiao, M.D., Ph.D. FACP: "KDSAP (Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program) - An Innovative Way to Increase Nephrology Boots on the Ground"
- 2014: Reshma Jagsi M.D., DPhil: "Exploring gender differences in career advancement and discrepancies in equity in the work environment, opportunities and work-life balance"
ASN Scientific Symposia
WIN also organizes a scientific symposium at the fall ASN Kidney Week meeting. The past several years of symposia are listed below:
- 2005: "The Pathophysiology of Progressive Renal Disease and Hypertension: Importance of Gender and Ethnicity"
- 2006: "Understanding and Manipulating Antibody Responses in Allo and Autoimmunity."
- 2007: "It's Not Your Father's Renin-Angiotensin System"
- 2008: "Boots on the Ground: Do We Have Enough Personnel to Fight the Battle Against CKD?"